Well we made it to Austin last night for The Verge. Remember when I posted about it a few months ago? Well I won a free ticket! Â And now my first day is done. And I don’t know how to effectively get things out of my head in a way that will make perfect sense. I guess I could wait until we’re back and take a day to sit and process it all, or I can do a brain dump and then go back through it later to polish things up. So here are a few observations:
From the 700+ drive here:
- My sixth month old was a freaking champ during the ride. He didn’t get that upset much.
- When he did get upset he really let us know.
- Shreveport, LA is bigger than I remember.
- Driving across LA and TX into the setting sun is horrible w/o sunglasses.
- In Texas there are two lane rural roads where the speed limit is 70mph. I shudder to think of people living alongside that road having to pull out of their driveways into 70mph traffic.
- So that means on some Texas interstates the speed limit is 75mph.
- I like the Texas custom of people moving over into a wide shoulder so I can pass on the left.
- After the sun went down and I wasn’t looking into the sun the drive was much more pleasant.
- Driving through Waco I saw a lot of nice looking buildings next to the interstate. That was Baylor University. Looked nice during the drive by.
My impression of Austin so far:
- I came to the first two Passion conference in the late 90’s. But I remember nothing of Austin except for going to REI once with some friends.
- Austin is a big city with lots going on. I don’t know how much of the city I’ll get to see, but I hope to take as much in as possible.
- More tattoo’s in Austin than in Oxford.
- Lots of construction going on downtown in Austin.
- I think I like this place.
- I’m hoping to see the famous Austin bats. I am close to the bridge.
- But the free wifi at the hotel isn’t the best.
And the Pre-Conference Labs:
- I went to the Missional Community pre-lab today at St. Davids.
- It was informative and the speakers were approachable
- I’ll give a few bullet points of each breakout in the next post.